“Only by building systems that are intentional in their design to account for implicit bias and systemic inequities, will every District resident truly have the same opportunities to prosper in our society.”
– Kenyan R. McDuffie
Testify at the hearing!
Thursday, April 25, 2019
John A. Wilson Building
1350 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
You must sign up in advance to testify at the hearing. To sign up to testify, contact the Council Committee on Government Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 724-6663.
The Racial Equity Achieves Results Act of 2019:
- The legislation operationalizes racial equity in the District by requiring DC government to design and implement a racial equity tool, beginning in fiscal year 2020.
- The bill requires the Mayor to include racial equity-related performance measures in the development of an agency’s annual performance plans and to require the Mayor to include an evaluation of the use of the racial equity tool in the annual performance accountability reports.
- The legislation also requires the development of a racial equity training for all District employees.
Councilmember McDuffie has been working to advance the conversation around Racial Equity in the District of Columbia in a meaningful way for years, his work includes:
- Introduced the Racial Equity Achieves Results Act [B23-0038].
- Hosted a Symposium on Race and Policy on Thursday, January 17, 2019.
- Successfully led the effort for the Council of the District of Columbia to become a member of the Government Alliance on Racial Equity (GARE), a national network of leaders working to achieve racial equity within and through government.
- Convened a Racial Equity Working Group, consisting of a diverse body of industry and community leaders committed to normalizing conversations about race, operationalizing new policies, eliminating occurrences of racial discrimination, and implementing a city-wide strategy to achieve racial equity in the District of Columbia.
- Facilitated racial equity training for all members and staff of the Council of the District of Columbia.
- Spearheaded introduction of the “Sense of the Council on Establishing Race, Equity, and Social Justice Resolution of 2017.”