Committee on Business and Economic Development Budget Engagement
Due to the public health emergency, the budget process will not be like other years. Council committees are each taking written testimony as well as allowing residents to call a phone line and leave testimony, which will be transcribed and included in the official record. Additionally, there will be limited opportunities to testify before committee hearings held via videoconference. Check the Council website for the full schedule of hearings and additional details for each committee.
The hearing record will close at 5:00 pm on June 3, 2020.
THREE WAYS TO ENGAGE:
1. WRITTEN TESTIMONY:
- Written Testimony shall be submitted by emailing the document to BusinessEconomicDevelopment@dccouncil.us.
- Written testimony must be submitted as instructed above by June 3, 2020, 5:00 pm, to be included in the record.
- Public witness testimony will not be accepted after that date.
2. TRANSCRIBED ORAL TESTIMONY:
- Call (202) 430-5122.
- When prompted, ready your testimony (speak slowly and clearly).
- You may provide up to three minutes of testimony.
- Your testimony will be transcribed and made a part of the record.
- At the beginning of the message please state your name, spell your name, the agency you are testifying on, provide the name of the organization you are representing (if any), and then begin your testimony.
3. LIVE TESTIMONY VIA VIDEOCONFERENCE HEARING:
- The hearing will take place via Zoom on Tuesday, June 16 from 9:00 am – Noon. As with all Council hearings, it will be streamed live on the Council website and broadcast on DC cable channel 13.
- Public witnesses are required to complete the witness form linked from here. The form to sign up for the virtual hearing will open on June 10, 2020, at 9:00 am and close on June 12, 2020, at 5:00 pm.
- Participation in the virtual hearing is limited, and participants will be selected on a first-come, first-served basis. Each public witness will receive a maximum of three minutes to testify, and each organization is limited to one testimony at the virtual hearing.
- Witnesses that completed the form on May 11-12 will carry over to the new witness list.
- Public witnesses selected to participate in the virtual hearing will receive additional instructions from the Committee on Business and Economic Development.
- These hearings are official proceedings of the Council of the District of Columbia, and public witnesses who will appear live in a virtual hearing must conduct themselves respectfully and are subject to removal for using profane, indecent, or abusive language or images.
- All public witnesses are encouraged to submit written testimony in advance of the hearing. Written Testimony can be submitted by emailing the document to BusinessEconomicDevelopment@dccouncil.us.
- Written testimony must be submitted as instructed above by June 3, 2020, 5:00 p.m., to be included in the record.
COMMITTEE ON BUSINESS AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT BUDGET MEETINGS:
|Meeting Date and Time||Subject||Hearing/ |
|Wed, May 27|
3:00 – 6:00 pm
|· Department of Small and Local Business Development|
· Department of Insurance, Securities, and Banking
· Department of For-Hire Vehicles
|Mon, June 1|
3:00 – 6:00 pm
|· Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration|
· Office of the People’s Counsel
· Public Service Commission
· Destination DC
|Wed, June 3|
9:00 am – 12:00 pm
|· Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development|
· Office of the Chief Financial Officer
· Office of Lottery and Gaming
|Tue, June 16|
9:00 am – 12:00 pm
|Public Witnesses Only||Hearing|
|Thu, June 25|
10:00 – 11:30 am